HORSEY is a parish
and village, 4 miles north from Martham station on the Eastern and Midlands joint
railway, about 11 miles north-by-west from Yarmouth, and 21 from Norwich, in the
Eastern division of the county, Tunstead and Happing petty sessional division,
Happing hundred, Smallburgh union, Great Yarmouth county court district, rural
deanery of Waxham (Happing division), archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of
Norwich. This parish was frequently flooded until purchased by the late Robert
RISING snr of Horsey Hall who, by repairing the sea bank and draining the marshes,
brought it to a high state of productiveness. He also constructed a road to
Somerton, which is of great advantage to the inhabitants. The church of All Saints
is an ancient building of stone in the Gothic style of the 13th century, consisting
of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled tower, round at the base and
octagonal above and containing one bell: on the north side is a memorial window,
erected in 1872 to the Rev. Edward P. NEALE,M.A., vicar 1857-1870 (died 1871), and
in the chancel three to the RISING family: the finely-carved rood-screen is a work
of the 13th century: the church was restored in 1855, at a cost of £300 and has 120
sittings. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a vicarage, net
yearly value about £60, including 47 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of
Viscount and Viscountess Massereene and Ferrard, and held since 1889 by the
Reverend Stafford Meredith Brown. The Poor's allotment of 9A.3R.9P awarded at the
inclosure in 1816 is now (1900) let for £7 10s yearly, which sum is distributed in
coals. Horsey Hall, a mansion of brick, rebuilt in 1845, is the seat of Mayson M.
BEETON, esq. Viscount and Viscountess Massereene and Ferrard are lord and lady of
the manor, and principal landowners. The soil is mixed: subsoil clay and sand. The
chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. Here is a Coastguard station. The area is
1,942 acres of land and 129 of water known by the name Horsey Mere; rateable value
£1,292; the population in 1891 was 155.
formerly ex-parochial and annexed to Waxham, is now, under the Divided Parishes
Act, amalgamated with this parish. Bernard James CUDDON-FLETCHER, J.P.
of Somerton is lord of the manor and sole landowner.
POST OFFICE - Mrs
Margaret GOOSE, sub-postmistress.
Letters arrive from Yarmouth at 9.20am and are
dispatched at 4.25pm and 9.25am on Sundays. Postal Orders are issued here but not
paid. Martham is the nearest money order and telegraph office, 4 miles
(mixed) - built by the late R. RISING Esq in 1858 and enlarged in 1894 by the
trustees of Horsey Hall Estate, for 50 children; average attendance 35; Mrs Mary A.
Assistant Overseer, Richard Rogers of
M. Horsey Hall
BROWN, Rev. Stafford Meredith, (vicar) The
ANDREWS, Richd, farmer, Kerrison Farm
BAKER, William, gamekeeper to C. WHEEN,
BEAN, Jas. gamekeeper to C. WHEEN, Esq.
BECKETT, John - farmer
CLARKE, Daniel - farmer
DANIELS, Herbert, farmer, Home Farm
GOOSE, Margaret (Mrs) - shopkeeper Post
KIRBY, James Edwin, shoeing and general smith,
wheelwright, builder and carpenter; and at Martham
WEBSTER, William, gardener to Mayson M. Beeton,