HORSEY is a village
and parish, 4 miles north of Martham station on the Eastern and Midlands joint
railway, about 11 miles north-by-west from Yarmouth, and 21 north-east from
Norwich, in the Eastern division of the county, Tunstead and Happing petty
sessional division, Smallburgh rural district, Great Yarmouth county court
district, rural deanery of Waxham, and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. This
parish was frequently flooded until purchased by the late Robert RISING esq. of
Horsey Hall who, by repairing the sea bank and draining the marshes, brought it to
a high state of productiveness. He also constructed a road to Somerton, which is of
great advantage to the inhabitants. The church of All Saints is an ancient building
of stone in the Gothic style of the 13th century, consisting of chancel, nave,
south porch and an embattled tower, round at the base and octagonal above and
containing one bell: on the north side is a memorial window, erected in 1872 to the
Rev. Edward P. NEALE, M.A. vicar 1857-70 (died 1871), and in the chancel three to
the RISING family: the finely carved rood-screen and the pews are of the 15th
century: the church was restored in 1855 and has 120 sittings. the register dates
from the year 1559. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £210, and 20 1/2
acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich, and held
since 1925 by the Rev. Richard Gilbert Keppel Hart, M.A. of Trinity College,
Cambridge. The poor's allotment of 9A.3R.9P awarded at the inclosure in 1816 is let
for £6 yearly, which sum is distributed in coals. Horsey Hall, a mansion of brick,
rebuilt in 1845, is the property and residence of Major Anthont BUXTON, D.S.O.,
J.P. who is lord of the manor, and principal landowner. The soil is mixed: subsoil
clay and sand. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,932 acres,
129 of water known by the name Horsey Mere and 73 of foreshore. The population in
1931 was 133.
formerly ex-parochial and annexed to Waxham, is now, under the Divided Parishes
Act, amalgamated with this parish.
POST OFFICE - T.
& T. E. D. Office. Letters through Great Yarmouth. The nearest money order
office is at Martham.
CONVEYANCE - Omnibuses pass through for Great
Yarmouth, Wed. and Sat.; and a daily service to Cromer in the
Anthony, D.S.O., J.P. Horsey Hall
HART, Rev. Richard Gilbert Keppel, M.A. (rector) The
AUTON, Jas. head gardener to Maj. A. Buxton, D.S.O.,
BROWN, Dorothy (Mrs), shopkeeper & agent for
Express parcel Service
CREES, Geo. Gamekeeper to Maj. A. Buxton, D.S.O.,
Flegg District Nursing Association (Miss Dorothy M.
Horsey Drainage Mills (Arth. DOVE,
KING, Ernest Geo. farmer, Hall Farm
KING, Jn. farmer, Delph Farm
KING, Rt. Jn. Nelson's Head P.H.
LINFORD B. Jas. farmer, Fords Farm
RICHES, Bertie Rd. farmer, Home Farm
STARLING, Frank Oliver, farmer, Street