HorseyVillage 

 

 GET IN TOUCH! News, Information or Questions. Email us at:

 

 

Kerrison House 

Kerrison House, one of the oldest buildings in the village, has a reasonably complicated building history.

The main front is to the south, facing the former road-line. in about 1770 a three-bay house of one storey and dormer attic was built, with a central doorway. It was extended one bay to the west in circa 1810-20 and in 1825-30 the whole building was raised to the present two full storeys. In the later 19th century the north outshut was added and the house was divided into two seperate properties. At some point in the 20th century it reverted to one house and was modernised, rather ruthlessly, in 1980.

Construction.   Coursed flint with red brick dressings. Gabled and thatched roof. The south frontis of two stoeys in four uneven bays. The disposition of the original three-bay house is clear to see to tyhe right (east). this part has a central half-glazed 20th century door under a segmental arch, flanked by one 8/8 unhorned sash window left and right. The sashes are recessed so are probably renewals. they also have segmental gauged skewback arches. The first floor has one internal gable-end stack east and west, both rebuilt.

The early 19th century western bay still retains the line of former brick quoins to the ground floor. There is a late 20th century top-hung casement to the ground floor and a 8/8 horned sash window above. The east and west returns have very clear lines of the former one-storey and dormer attic house. In the east return is a blocked former attic window and two blocked ground-floor windows.

The north side presents itself as an outshut added about 1860. The two pairs of quoins associated with this addition are evident on the east return. There is a four-panelled door just to the left of a fixed 6 x 6-paned window. To the right of this window is the arch over the second doorway, necessary when the house was subdivided. To the left of the elevation is a three-light casement and a plank door leading into a storeroom. To the right is a 20th century three-light window. The first floor is lit through a four-light,  a a single light and a three-light casement, all of the 1860s. The west return has an outshut with a plank door and in the west gable is a half-glazed 20th century kitchen door.

Outbuilding. - now a garage. Built circa 1860. Red brick, laid in Flemish bond. The rear (south) wall mainly of breeze blocks. The gabled roof collapsed in 1980 and has been replaced by a flat corrugated asbestos roof to the west half, and a corugated tile roof to the east part. One storey. The inner walls are lined with flints and there is an internal flint wall. A pair of late 20th century timber doors are set into the east gable wall. The west part comprises an open shed with a sliding timber door.

Families.

1894 to 1896      My Moyson BEETON living in house before moving into The Hall. land being farmed by W.M.R. MYHILL

1900 to 1915      Mr Richard ANDREWS - farmer and overseer

1915 to 1929      Mrs Richard ANDREWS - farmer

1929 to 1938      Colonel LISTER had it as a house.

1938 to 1964      Mr Arthur Dove,  Millman, and his wife

 
HORSEY PHOTOHISTORY

Horsey Photohistory

A Genealogical CD, in PDF format so can be read by any computer, containing almost 200 high quality photographs, all from private sources, depicting the life and times of this idyllic Norfolk Broadland village.

Never-before-seen photographs of the Horsey Flood of 1938, together with people and events in village life, covering the past 120 years.

Cost of CD, including postage and packing to any destination is

£11.45

[PAYPAL0000000001]