This is a tower drainage mill, first built
somewhere around the middle of the 19th Century. It was rebuilt in 1897, and again in 1912. The last rebuilding was
by Dan ENGLAND of
Ludham, on the foundations of the earlier mill. Dowager Viscountess Masserene and Ferrard was the Lady of the Manor
and landowner of the Horsey Estate, and her Arms appear on the side of the mill.
It represents the final stage of windpump (and to a
lesser extent windmill) technology. Built of local red bricks made at Martham, and standing on the old brick course
of the foundations of the old Horsey Black Mill ( over 200 years old) - (so-called because it's ancient fabric was
tarred to keep out the weather)
The Mill was working up until 1943, when it was
struck by lightning. The sails were taken down as they were considered to be dangerous. The mill was restored in
The four-storey brick tower tapers as it rises to a
weatherboarded boat-shaped cap. There are a pair of double access doors to the north side and a casement under a
segmental arch to the second floor. The remainder of the windows are square-headed casements and are situated to
different cardinal points to each floor. The cap has it's fan cradle, fantail with eight vanes, petticoat and four
stocks and sails. There are no shutters. Abutting to the west is a low outbuilding housing an engine which replaced
the former external scoop wheel.
The ground floor has a square timber upright shaft
and a cast-iron spur wheel, with wooden teeth driving an iron bevel gear on the drive shaft. A new ladder staircase
rises to the first floor. The first floor has a timber office with a window. Ceiling timbers here are partly
renewed. The second floor just has the continuing upright shaft. the top floor has the brakewheel and wallower,
both of which are cast iron. the wooden teeth go with the brakewheel. the curb track is intact.