HORSEY is a village
and parish, 4 miles north of Martham station on the Eastern and Midlands railway,
about 11 miles north-by-west from Yarmouth, and 21 north-east from Norwich, in the
Eastern division of the county, Tunstead and Happing petty sessional division,
Smallburgh rural district, Great Yarmouth county court district, rural deanery of
Waxham, and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. This parish was frequently flooded
until purchased by the late Robert RISING esq. of Horsey Hall who, by repairing the
sea bank and draining the marshes, brought it to a high state of productiveness. He
also constructed a road to Somerton, which is of great advantage to the
inhabitants. The church of All Saints is an ancient building of stone in the Gothic
style of the 13th century, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an
embattled tower, round at the base and octagonal above and containing one bell: on
the north side is a memorial window, erected in 1872 to the Rev. Edward P. NEALE,
M.A. vicar 1857-70 (died 1871), and in the chancel three to the RISING family: the
finely carved rood-screen and the pews are of the 15th century: the church was
restored in 1855 and has 120 sittings. the register dates from the year 1559. The
living is a rectory, net yearly value £210, and 20 1/2 acres of glebe, with
residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich, and held since 1925 by the Rev.
Richard Gilbert Keppel Hart, M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. The poor's
allotment of 9A.3R.9P awarded at the inclosure in 1816 is let for £6 yearly, which
sum is distributed in coals. Horsey Hall, a mansion of brick, rebuilt in 1845, is
the property and residence of Major Anthont BUXTON, D.S.O., J.P. who is lord of the
manor, and principal landowner. The soil is mixed: subsoil clay and sand. The chief
crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,932 acres, 129 of water known by
the name Horsey Mere and 73 of foreshore. The population in 1921 was
formerly ex-parochial and annexed to Waxham, is now, under the Divided Parishes
Act, amalgamated with this parish. Bernard James CUDDON-FLETCHER, esq.,
J.P. is lord of the manor and sole landowner.
POST OFFICE - T.
& T. E. D. Office. Letters through Great Yarmouth. The nearest money order
office is at Martham.
CONVEYANCE - Omnibuses pass through for Great
Yarmouth, Wed. and Sat.; and a daily service to Cromer in the
Anthony, D.S.O., J.P. Horsey Hall
HART, Rev. Richard Gilbert Keppel, M.A. (rector) The
BLOOMFIELD, Fredk. Geo. head gardener to Maj. A.
Buxton, D.S.O., J.P.
BROWN, Dorothy (Mrs), shopkeeper & agent for
Express Parcel Service
CREES, Geo. Gamekeeper to Maj. A. Buxton, D.S.O.,
Horsey Drainage Mills (Arth. DOVE,
KING, Ernest Geo. sen. farmer, Delph Farm
KING, Ernest Geo. farmer, Hall Farm
LINFORD Brothers. farmers, Fords Farm
RICHES, Bertie Rd. farmer, Home Farm
STARLING, Frank Oliver, farmer, Street
THAIN, Sidney, Nelson's Head P.H.