Details for this article taken from the
Opening and Dedication Service of The New Chapel, Wednesday, 19th November, 1958.
Methodism came to Horsey through the activity of
Primitive methodist preachers, and a society was formed in the early days of that movement. As in so many cases,
records are wanting, but some facts have been handed down. It seems that the members used to meet in the kitchen of
Mrs. Sarah WATTS who, for a number of years, lived in the farm opposite the Nelson's Head Inn. One of the memorable
events of those days was the visit of Hugh BOURNE. He preached in the kitchen and sat in an armchair which is still
an honoured possession of Mr H. PRATT of Martham. On 7th October 1852, some 10 years after this visit, the WATT's
home was destroyed by fire and the society had to meet elsewhere.
In 1870, a chapel was built for the society by Mr
William JOHNSON (son-in-law of Sarah WATTS) on his own land at Horsey Corner, and this building was used for
worship until 1909 when, on his death, the property had to be sold. The next owner (Mr George ENGLISH) asked
a rent of £5 a year or offered to sell for £60. Both offers were too costly for the society and they had to leave
the building. (Building fell down during early
1900s). This time the difficulty was overcome when Mr John PEGG
(son-in-law of W.JOHNSON) offered his cottage as a meeting place until such time as a chapel should be built. There
the society met, from October 1909 to September 1910.
Meanwhile, plans were being made to build a
corrugated iron chapel. the sympathy of friends for miles around was solicited to such good purpose that at the
stone-laying a sum of £95 was raised. We are told it was a fine day. This was true in more senses than one for none
had dared to hope for such an amount. The plans were changed. It was decided to build in brick and slate at a cost
of £100. the seats, harmonium and other items came to £40. This chapel was opened in September 1910. by 1912 all
debts were paid and at the June Quarterly Meeting of that year, thanks were recorded "to the Rev. F.C. FRANCE and
friends for this splendid result".
During the late years of the last World War it was
felt that this building, as it stood, was no longer suited to the work. A school and a vestry were needed. Land was
bought and plans made to extend the building. this, however, was not thought to be a wise scheme and there was much
discussion and much delay before the Chapel Committee suggested that a new building be erected on a new site.
Grants were made which encouraged the trustees to go forward with this suggestion. The work began in June of
this (1958) year; the stone-laying ceremony was held on 1st July and the opening we celebrate
today (Wednesday 19th November
Mr E. KING purchased
the Old Chapel and converted it into 2 houses for farm workers.